These are red, blotchy blue patches, which are extremely itchy. They occur on exposed areas of the body especially the hand and feet as a result of extreme exposure to heat and cold. These areas can become badly infected.
- Prevention is better than a cure
- Always wear warm clothing in cold weather
- Keep feet and hands warm by wearing thick gloves and socks
- Avoid sitting to close to open heat
- Cooling lotions and at the early stages
- Contrast foot bathes (if skin is not broken)
- If chilblains broken, keep dry and cover with sterile dressing.